Monday, April 2, 2012

Spring Is Here

     It is spring out here on the farm and I couldn't be happier. It is my favorite time of year. My favorite tree bloomed full on 3/31. I was able to get some great pictures. We live on a hill so once the wind starts the blooms will disappear fast.

     I couldn't tell you what kind of tree it is. My brother, sister and I got this as a gift for my mom for Mothers Day when we were very little. I love this tree I wish it was closer to my house, my mom wishes it was at her house. (They moved to a different farm when I was 13).

     We got a new batch of guineas. Hopefully they stay around longer than last years batch. We purchased 8 at the Stuart Exotic bird sale. We decided to keep them locked up and let one out at a time. We have one from last year, so hopefully they make friends and want to stay. We are hoping  the veteran guinea will show the others the safe spots to hide from critters  and the places to go for good food.  We put up with their noise because they eat over half their weight in bugs especially mosquitos.

     We have 30 baby chicks ordered they should arrive by mail on 4/9. The post office always calls us to come get them because the noise drives them nuts. Yes, we still have the older chickens. Not quite 32, some of the older ones didn't make it thru the winter but we still have enough non-laying chickens. They do eat bugs as well.
  
     We had our first baby calf on 3/30. It was born to a cow that Tim named Crazy Cow. She loves Tim, NOT! So the pictures I have are the only ones we have because CC is very good at hiding her baby, which makes it difficult to tag it. I am sure there will be a story there when Tim decides he is going to win that battle I will then fill you in on how she got her name. 


     That is as close as we can get and that is two fences between us. She is a mean mama!
     Finally my favorite reason for spring is "I get to mow".  I went out and mowed on Sunday. While bouncing around and seeing or I should say feeling the damage the moles, voles or ground hogs have done I am thinking this isn't as fun as it use to be. Now I am on a hunt for a roller, see if I can smooth out some of this damage or it is going to be a long spring/summer. I just might have to fence off some of this 10 acres and let the animals take care of it!

     But who can argue with this weather? Finally we get a spring where we can get things done comfortably. No freezing or drenched from all the rain. I Love It!


No comments:

Post a Comment