Friday, August 26, 2011

My Adventure in Mowing

I typically do all the mowing at our house, especially since I work part time and I have more free time.  I don't mind I get out of the house get some sun, but it also gives me a lot of time to think of projects, we have 10 acres to mow. I use to have a Cub Cadet, a typical riding mower. It would take me about 8 1/2 hrs to mow everything. Last year we traded that in for a Dixie Chopper. WOO HOO! It makes mowing now a 4 hour event. If anyone knows anything about a Dixie Chopper they are loud and they are fast. I feel like Tim "the tool man" Taylor minus the grunt,  like "the tool man" I get myself into predicaments. Today was no exception!

 I was mowing down our driveway which a quarter of a mile long. Down out the bottom of the drive we have the ditch mounded up with trenches in it so that water won't fill the drive. Well I got stuck. Not really stuck because there is no mud, it was more like wedged. I couldn't go forward or backwards and I certainly couldn't push it out. Boy that driveway looks long!

All else fails call Dad! No answer on either his cell or the house phone. Call Tim it is 3:30 in the afternoon maybe he is on his way home (yea right ). I have the feeling that these two do not answer their phones during the day when they see that I am calling because they do not want to know what kind of trouble I have gotten myself in.

 I have to walk up the drive to get the 4 wheeler, in flip flops. I get the 4 wheeler and a chain and go down to pull myself out. Oh the dog, don't forget the dog, Pepper (our black lab) has to come with. You start the 4 wheeler and the dogs go crazy. Today only Pepper goes, Sadie was wore out from an early walk.

I  pulled myself out, park the 4 wheeler in the shade, take the key and continue to mow. Pepper digs a spot and takes her position next to the 4 wheeler. I head back up the lane and then have to make another swipe down. Get half way down the lane and Pepper peeks her head around the corn looking for me. If dogs could talk she would have said "Did you forget something?" I have more mowing to do at the bottom of the lane while watching Pepper circle the 4 wheeler and making sure that I see her. I continue up the other side. Mow at the top of the drive and see Pepper sitting down at the bottom of the driveway  in the middle of the lane. I finish up and park the mower. I start to head down the drive and Pepper comes running toward me. She sees me walking and begins her happy jump (she jumps straight up in the air as if she has springs in her legs). We walk to the 4 wheeler she starts barking and we begin the drive back up the drive. Pepper is prancing, head held high as if she won a prize. She made sure I did not lose the 4 wheeler!

Nobody will ever be able to steal our 4 wheeler unless they want a dog. What a girl!

Pepper Chillin with Fred the Peacock
Sadie


No comments:

Post a Comment